Monday, June 18, 2012

Whew!

So we have 2 weeks to go before my wife and I head off to Vegas and since the last posting I shredded through about 6 lbs. This weekend will be another round of kickboxing. I think we have this one and one more left, which if memory serves correctly we are going to save until after Vegas. Gotta work off all those frozen drinks some how. During that time I have incorporated a few things from the kickboxing class into my gym routine and cut out my cardio except on my core days. I know what a lot of trainers would say. "Wha? You NEED to have cardio."

However I am going to say that with what I am doing right now, cardio is the last thing that I am going to want to add in to a heavy weight and plyometric routine. Besides if I wanted to run or climb stairs after blasting my arms I will go hit a trail or run the stairs at Red Rocks, not turn myself into a zombie staring at the OWN channel. Actually I would never stare at the OWN channel. Mother Fu**in SPORTS!

With that being said I am going to throw at you a core routine that I picked up from Men's Fitness, it's circuit one of a 2 circuit ab routine that Ryan Reynolds used to develop his core for the Blade movie.

Don't let this deceive you, because I did. It looks easy at first but once you hit round three of the circuit you are going to wish there wasn't a fourth round. With that being said, let's move on.

First you are going to start off at the cable machines, lower the cable link to hip level. We are going to start with wood choppers. Set the weight to where you can do 15 to 20 reps. Do not change the weight as you progress, the goal is to push yourself and burn yourself out. Scott Herman Fitness has a good video on how to properly execute these on YouTube here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAplQXk3dkU).

Next, you are going to go to a decline bench and bust out 15 to 20 reps of decline situps. If these are easy for you put a weight on your chest and up the level of difficulty.

Finally, you are going to either lay on the ground and do leg lifts or use a leg lift rack often used for captains chair lifts. Same reps (15 to 20).

Rinse and repeat until you have gone through 4 sets. That's it. Seems pretty easy huh? Give it a try on your off days and you will start to see a nice tapering in and engaging of your core like you haven't seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment